Friday, March 28, 2008

Couple Wants Deaf Child

A deaf couple in the UK have a deaf child that was naturally conceived; right now they want another child, but because of the mother’s age, the might have to resort to IVF. The couple wants their second child to be deaf as well (Which is now somewhat possible with new technologies.) Under UK law; a disabled or abnormal child can not willfully be conceived through IVF.

Check out the article here.

I was going to write a big long post about this, because it touches on so many issues (rights, abortion, abuse, morality, conception rights, law, ect.) but alas, I found myself lazy (though I plan to write it soon.) Plus, I need to clear my thinking about a few things first.

While it is clear this couple is morally wrong (willfully choosing a crippled life for their potential child) the real issues are about rights and the law.

1 comment:

  1. Morally, this is like having a normal child, and then doing something to make it deaf. Evil.

    ReplyDelete