Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Give Up

I have officially given in to my geek-ness; a personality trait I have fought before on this blog. To prove the point, here is a picture of the enterprise in the upcoming J.J. Abrams relaunch:


The four things that attracted me to Star Trek where 1) the incredible forward-thinking optimism of the show, 2) the ethical, political, and scientific dilemmas, 3) all the “gee-wiz” moments and 4) the fact that people solved their problems with their minds (it was mostly pro-reason.)

While I think that Abrams will give me item number 1, I don’t know about number 2, 3, or 4. Judging Abrams by his work, the show Lost seems generally anti-reason, while Fringe has a tendency to be anti-science. I could be wrong, and I admit I have never fully watched either of these shows.

In any case, I’m hopeful. Abrams might just be the kick-in-the-pants the franchise needs to launch it out of its recent mediocrity.

P.S. – If any of you have any idea how the Star Trek economy works, please tell me, I have been curious for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment